Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Testimony

I'd like to take a minute to share my testimony.

I repented of my sin, and asked Jesus Christ to forgive me, and live in my heart, as a 10 year old girl. That is, hands down, the BEST decision I have ever made in my life. Better then the decision to marry, better than the decision to have children, better than the decision to homeschool said children. The BEST. I knew the morning I got saved that I wasn't. God used a Godly Sunday School teacher, who prayed weekly in class - and most likely, daily at home - for the children in her class. I could never thank that Sunday School teacher enough, for it was in Sunday School that morning that the Lord began to work on my heart.

After church was over that morning, after having sat through the entire sermon knowing God was working on my heart, I made a beeline for our Pastor, who showed me that without Jesus Christ, and his forgiveness of my sins, I could never make it to Heaven on my own.

I will always look back on that day and know that the Lord changed me. I remember very clearly thinking, "I need to be a good girl now, and I know I am different" - God will always speak to someone right at the level we are at.

As I grew, though, something very common happens. Unfortunately, I decided not to draw close to the Lord, and by the time I was in high school, I made most of my decisions off of what I wanted to do. I still went to church every Sunday and Wednesday, still basically did right - never got in trouble with the law, never smoked or drank or did drugs. I felt like I was 'OK'. Wow, was I ever wrong! It's so easy to assume that we are okay because we are doing everything right on the outside, when the sin lies so deep in our hearts.

Right before I got married, in December of 2002, God really started working on my heart, showing me I needed to seek Him. Over the next year, God worked in my heart in ways that I never could have imagined, and he continues to do that to this day. This christian walk is not easy - God didn't promise it would be easy. 

In fact, He said in John 16:33 - "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world". 1 John 4:4 says, "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world". I rest in these promises, because they keep me going when I start to get discouraged with the fight to do right. 

I'd like to end this short testimony - short because, if I tried to tell you all the things God has done for me, I wouldn't have enough room on this blog! - I'd like to quote a pastor and friend that said once, "If we die and find out that everything we have believed is wrong, I still wouldn't change one minute of it". That's the testimony I hope to keep, by God's grace, and hope to convey through any said or done on this blog.

- Amy




No comments:

Post a Comment