Friday, November 1, 2013

The Making of Man, Part II

*This is a re-post. When I began my other blog, No Greater Honors, before it leaned in the direction of a homeschooling blog, I did a three part series entitled *The Making of a Man*. I am moving those posts from No Greater Honors to this blog, because it fits the best here.*


Proverbs 6:20-23 (KJB) - My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother: Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck. When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee. For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

I had a wonderful pastor's wife and teacher explain these verses once at a ladies meeting, and I am going to try and do my best here. The commandment belongs to the father - and the law to the mother. Therefore, the father holds the lamp, but the light comes from the mother. 

As father's, our husband(s) have an important job, and they are the very structure that begins the home. Yet, the Bible says the mother is the law - the light. Isn't that something? Our husband can establish a physical home, work every day, pay the bills, make sure there is food on the table, and do everything he should do - and yet, without us, there is no light!

I am sure that everyone has been in 'that' home where things are beautiful, clean, nice, nothing old or used, everyone is impeccably dressed and well-fed - and there is no peace. It's like a breeze of cold air hits you as soon as you walk in the door. There is no light to be found. That light depends on the wife - and in this case, the mother!

The COMMANDMENT is the lamp, and the LAW is light - what I see is that our husband can say "This is my desire for our children, or in this case, my son" and set the commandment. Yet we are supposed to give light to that. One thing I think we need to remember in raising our boys, especially when they are younger and we are at home with them ALLLLLL the time and they are looking for so much guidance, is that we need to talk to them about what we (their parents) are trying to teach them, and explain why it is important.
No - they don't always have to have a reason before obedience, or before they will believe us. That's not what I am talking about here - because I strongly feel that we should have a trust for us instilled in our children that tells them, "Mommy/Daddy said it, so I need to do it because they know what's right!". But that trust doesn't come by itself. Here is where the rubber meets the road for me, because I don't always take the time *LATER* to talk about the 'whys' of what we teach them, and I should. One day, we are going to say good bye to our boys. That's sad for me to even think about, but it is true. At that point, we have no say in the choices they make - but before that point, they need to be equipped to understand WHY they should choose to follow the 'commandment of their father' - not just the earthly, but even more important, the heavenly!

Which is where I am going with part two of this - I think we need to T-A-L-K to our boys. Not just the basics of right and wrong, but WHY it is right and wrong. And, eventually, when they are old enough and mature enough to handle it, possibly even go into detail at times about why some limitations are so important in certain areas. I say *eventually* and *possibly* because, as I said, I still have fairly young ones. But we must not only give them the limits to guide them, but a good foundation for WHY we have those limits.

Example: My father is living with us right now, and he gets up at very early hours to go to work. My oldest son, Hoss, loves him like crazy - and tries his best to spend every minute he can with him. So it was no surprise when I found him in the kitchen at 4 a.m. a few days ago, trying to help make Paw Paw's lunch. There was just one problem - it was 4 IN THE MORNING! But he didn't see it that way, of course - what 7 year old would? So I told him to go back to bed, which lasted about 30 minutes - and when I heard noises again, I found him trying to sleep in our living room. So I sent him back to bed, and tried to gently (as could be in the early hours) explain to him that he was not allowed back up that early again, not to try and get up that early, that he needed to sleep and it was necessary to have a good day, and to be healthy and not get sick. Then he shocked me - he turned to hug me and said, "Thank you, momma, for doing what's good for me!" I know that sounds simple, but we need to provide the light - the commandment has already been given, we need to provide the light to guide them through the next part - the reproofs of instruction, which are the way of life. 

Let's join in prayer for each other, and don't get weary in the fight for your boys! The devil would like nothing more than to get their hearts and minds now, and they need us to provide the light to help them see the 'way of life' that is right and good. We need to be busy helping our husbands by shedding light on what is good for our boys, and helping our boys so that they can see what they need to do to grow into men - God's men!

I know this was long, but I don't want to waste my time with my boys, and I know that you don't, either! And by the way, this applies the same with girls, but since we are ~making a Man~ I figured I would keep the focus on boys.

I hope God uses this, because I am nothing, but He is everything, and were it not for some Godly women and mothers that have come before me, and given wonderful examples for me to look to, I shudder to think what I might be doing, or NOT doing, for my children!

And do comment, if you think of something I haven't said, or if something didn't make sense! I claim no perfection, and it wouldn't be the first time that I meant one thing and said another!                  


    

No comments:

Post a Comment