Friday, November 1, 2013

The Making of Man, Part III

*This is a re-post. When I began my other blog, No Greater Honors, before it leaned in the direction of a homeschooling blog, I did a three part series entitled *The Making of a Man*. I am moving those posts from No Greater Honors to this blog, because it fits the best here.*


I prayed and wondered how to end the thoughts I had on raising boys, and the truth is, you can never exhaust the subject. Maybe temporarily, but since they are always growing and changing, the things you encounter change as well. I hope this has been a blessing to someone - if nothing else, it was to me, because it gave me a chance to re-evaluate the how's and why's of what I need to be doing for my own sons. So I thought I would just bring up some things that I find in God's word that gives us help in raising them, but not necessarily expound on them, because what they might mean for ME right now, may not be the same thing they mean for YOU right now.

Proverbs is such a good book for instruction on raising Godly men, because of the many times we see "My son". Pretty simple, I know - that's not hard for anyone to understand. But I will be the first to tell you that it's easy in the day-to-day to overlook some things that are important. And once they are grown the influence we have on them may not be the same as it is now.

I will just take a minute to point out some verses that stand out to me. 

Proverbs 1:10, 15 - The ability to say 'NO', being a leader

Proverbs 3: 11 and 12 - A reason and Godly motive for correction

Proverbs 3:27 - Hospitality, Generosity

Proverbs 4: 25-27 - Stability, Standing firm on God's truths

Proverbs 6: 1-5 - Good judgement in business transactions/situations

Proverbs 6: 9-11 - Laziness


I could fill this page with good passages of scripture that can help us!
It's always so fun to watch our boys grow up and see them imitate the men in their life - Daddy, Grandpa.....


                                                                   First shaving lesson from Daddy!  
                                            



                                               Buddy Boy trying to fill Dad's shoes!

One day they truly will be stepping up to the plate and assuming the roles that they like to pretend to be right now!
  
I just want to be an encouragement to others, and seek the Lord for His help in raising our boys to be men of God. It seems that the harder we look for men to stand strong for what is right and be an example for the next generation, the fewer we find. Let's try to raise a generation of MEN for God!  


                              III John 1:4 - I have no greater joy than to
                                     hear that my children walk in truth. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment