Thursday, November 21, 2013

What's With All The Babies?

My husband and I were out a few days ago for a couple hours of 'Daddy, Mommy' time, which amounted to going to pay a bill together, do some early Christmas looking, and eating quickly at Subway.

I know that doesn't sound super interesting, but sometimes you take what you can get, right? :)

We got to talking about babies and children, and what some people refer to as a *big* family. Here I might add - we have five children, and I don't at all consider us to be a big family. For some people that might seem large, but to me - it's just not.

I was surprised to find out, however, that the opinions of others my husband works are quite the opposite, even going so far as to question if religion plays a part in it! Which leads one to wonder - DOES religion play a part in how many children a person has?

Obviously, the answer to that one is - maybe. Maybe - you are in a 'religion' that believes in big families, and you have one because of said 'religion'. Maybe - you know someone who had a large number of children, and sadly only did so to get more government benefits. I know that sounds harsh, but unfortunately, we know some who have done just that. Those reasons, however, aren't why we have what so many consider to be a 'large' family. 

You see, when we got married - we flip-flopped about how many children we planned on having. 


~ My handsome husband and I on our wedding day ~



He wanted 2, I wanted 2 - then I wanted 4, and he still said 2 is a nice number - 1 for each, you know. We said we would have them 1 1/2 - 2 years apart - perfect spacing, you know.

THEN - God showed us that what we think we have planned out has NOTHING on His plans! Little Mama was born in September of 2004, and exactly 1 year and 10 days later, Hoss joined us. 

Little Mama and Hoss - they have never known life without each other :)


Pleasantly surprised, we said "Let's make sure he gets to 6 months old before I got pregnant again". Hah - see - we were trying to plan it all again. Hoss was 16 months old when we found out I was going to have Miss Priss, which meant that we would have three children born in September - I mean, really - WHO PLANS THAT?

                                  * God does - that's Who *

Miss Priss at about 1 month old


The best part of the story is the youngest two - both surprises as well, because I am surprised I got pregnant with them when I did. 

Bug, at about 8-9 months old

Buddy Boy, just a couple of days old

Of course, God wasn't. Both of them were born at times where you could easily say it was the worst time to have a baby, for many different reasons that just don't matter now. We spent less money on diapers and baby food and essentials with these two than we ever did on the others, God provided so many times, and continues to. I have always been able to stand behind the saying "God won't give what He can't provide for!", because I have seen it play itself out in the first years of all my children.

So, yes - we do happen to love our babies. And, personally, I would have another... and another, and another - until God said "That's My Will for you". I didn't write this to offend someone who doesn't have a 'big' family - how many children you do or don't have is up to you and your business. There are some people that, for medical reasons, don't have many children, or any at all, and maybe can't because it would be life-endangering for both parties. God knows that. There are some women who would give anything to hold a child of her own and give it more love than you can imagine - and they can't. My heart goes out to women like that, for I have known a few myself. I wrote this just to say, it's not always some superficial reason why people have a lot of children, and it's definitely not because we just *can't figure out what causes that* - yes, I've heard that one before! I prayed, and still pray, that God gives me just as many children as He wants me to have, and pray daily that I love my children the way He loves me. I'm definitely not the perfect mama - I fail many times, and many times have to ask my children to forgive me. I wouldn't have my life any other way, though, and if you are 'one of those mamas' that have children running here and there and everywhere - don't let people's opinions discourage you. 

God said, "Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward." (Psalm 127:3). Cherish those babies, for one day - they won't be babies anymore. One day, we will only be able to look back on these days and remember what we once had and realize how blessed we are!




No comments:

Post a Comment